Like Android Nougat prior to it, Android Oreo took 5 months to go the 1 % adoption mark. In different phrases, monitoring the adoption fee of the newest Android model remains to be as excruciating as gazing paint dry. In keeping with Google’s Platform Variations web page, the newest and biggest model of the corporate’s cellular running device in the end has 1.1 % adoption.
At the vibrant aspect, Nougat this month has handed Marshmallow, which means the second one latest Android model is now essentially the most broadly used. The newest model of Android normally takes greater than a 12 months to develop into the most-used unlock, and up to now it doesn’t appear to be Oreo’s tale might be any other.
Listed below are the adjustments between January and February:
- Android eight.zero/eight.1 Oreo (August 2017, December 2017): up zero.four issues to one.1 %
- Android 7.zero/7.1 Nougat (August 2016, October 2016): Up 2.2 issues to 28.five %
- Android 6.zero Marshmallow (October 2015): Down zero.five issues to 28.1 %
- Android five.zero/five.1 Lollipop (November 2014, March 2015): Down zero.five issues to 24.6 %
- Android four.four KitKat (October 2013): Down zero.eight issues to 12.zero %
- Android four.1/four.2/four.three Jelly Bean (July 2012, November 2012, and July 2013): Down zero.6 issues to five.zero %
- Android four.zero Ice Cream Sandwich (December 2011): Down zero.1 issues to zero.four %
- Android 2.three Gingerbread (December 2010): Down zero.1 issues to zero.three %
Google’s Platform Variations software makes use of knowledge accumulated from the Google Play Retailer app, which calls for Android 2.2 and above. This implies units working older variations aren’t integrated, nor are units that don’t have Google Play put in (reminiscent of many Android telephones and pills in China, Amazon’s Fireplace line, and so forth). Additionally, Android variations that experience lower than zero.1 % adoption, reminiscent of Android three.zero Honeycomb and Android 2.2 Froyo, aren’t indexed. The 2 next-oldest Android variations are thus set to drop off the record someday this 12 months.
For the sake of comparability, right here’s the Android adoption chart for January:
The Android adoption order now stands as follows: Nougat in first position, Marshmallow in 2nd position, Lollipop in 3rd, KitKat in fourth, Jelly Bean in 5th, Oreo in 6th, ICS in 7th, and Gingerbread in closing. All eyes are actually on Oreo to look how slowly it might climb the ranks.